The I-LEAD Charter School provides 9th through 12th grade youth who are disconnected from school with the opportunity to re-engage in their education and transition successfully into adulthood. Youth will be prepared to be productively-engaged citizens in the 21st Century economy as community leaders and entrepreneurs through an educational model that integrates life skills and academic skills.
For the last ten years, over 40% of Reading youth have not graduated high school. Where are they now? Likely unemployed, uninsured, unhealthy or incarcerated. These young adults are lost to the system, lack adequate work skills, and don’t know where to go to get their lives back on track. The I-LEAD Charter School is one second-chance option for some of these forgotten ones to re-engage in education and direct themselves toward a more positive future.
- Classroom and experience-based learning connects book learning and success in the real world.
- Smaller class sizes foster positive development of all students' unique potential.
- Standards-based and college-preparatory curriculum.
- A school-wide effort to have all I-LEAD Learners show measurable growth in literacy skills through the common set of teaching strategies of concept mapping, direct instruction of vocabulary, and literate discussions, as measured by Acuity, Dibels and/or AIMS-web.
- Our initial work will focus on mastering skilled reading, and then proceed to developing reasoning, analytical and critical-thinking skills in literacy.
- Safe environment within a learning community that practices non-violent conflict resolution and a zero- tolerance violence policy.
- Supportive of Learners until they are ready to move on to the next life stage.
- Students, parents, community and staff shape school together.
- Charter school application submitted to the Reading School Board in November 2009
- Charter approved and granted November 2010
- Opened September 2011 for the 2011-12 School Year
- Number of students in 2011-12 = 240
- Number of students in 2012-13 = 325
- Number of students in 2013-14 = 450
- Charter extended for an additional five years in October 2013
- School transitions to larger facility for 2014-15 School Year
Watch Youtube videos of I-LEAD Charter School here.
ILCS Learners speak of their experience at I-LEAD Charter School on bctv's "Bridging the Generation Gap." Click to watch.